On sale since mid-December, 47 percent of Trax buyers are new to Chevrolet, 58 percent are women, and 19 percent are under the age of 35.
“The Trax gives customers another choice in the Chevrolet portfolio between small cars and SUVs,” said Steve Majoros, Chevrolet director of marketing for cars and crossovers. “The Trax offers customers a well-equipped, entry-level SUV that was not an option before, and it is one more way we hope to earn customers for life.”
SUV sales are surging in 2015, accounting for 37 percent of total industry sales. The compact SUV segment, where the Chevrolet Equinox competes, led the industry in 2014 and is on a similar path this year. Equinox saw its best January and February ever, with sales up 14 percent. The Chevrolet Traverse midsize SUV total sales were up 28 percent in February, its best February since its introduction in 2008 as a ’09 model.
The small SUV segment has a lot of room to grow, said Michelle Krebs, an analyst with AutoTrader.com.
“The small utility segment has seen phenomenal growth in the U.S. and across the globe,” Krebs said. “AutoTrader saw a huge increase in shopping traffic for small utilities in 2014. Of all our shopping traffic, 46 percent looked at SUVs and CUVs in 2014, up from 36 percent in 2013.”
Based on early tracking, March sales indicates Trax, Equinox and Traverse sales will be even stronger.
Chevy SUV sales facts:
- More than 6,000 U.S. sales since launch
- 25.5 percent share in February, trailing only the Buick Encore
- 58 percent female buyers – highest in segment
- 19 percent are under the age of 35
- 47 percent are new to Chevrolet
- Dealers requesting three- to five times the number allocated to them because of customer interest.
- Best total annual sales in 2014 with 242,242 – up 2 percent compared to 2013
- Up 14 percent year over year (2015 vs. 2014)
- Best-ever January sales – 19,555
- Best-ever February sales – 21,723
- More than 1 million sold since 2010
- Refreshed 2016 Equinox available this fall
- Sales up 53 percent year over year
- Best-ever January sales – 10,151
- Best-ever February sales – 9,705 sales