What functions do you get to enjoy?
If your phone pairs up properly, you can do any of the following tasks.
- Displaying and reading an incoming text message from the touch display screen. You can do this only if you are not driving the vehicle or a passenger has been detected.
- Listening to the message which the system will read out to you
- Choosing an appropriate response from a list of pre-defined ones
And are they beneficial?
The Text Message Alert feature provides you with a number of advantages. For starters, it reduces distractions by allowing you to keep your hands on the wheel and eyes ahead. So even when driving with full concentration, you will still be able to access all of your important messages.
Vehicles that offer the Text Message Alert feature
This feature is available for all models that incorporate the MyLink™, IntelliLink or Cadillac CUE3 technology, with the exception of Spark, Spark EV, Sonic and Trax. Models such as Sierra 2500HD and 3500H, Escalade/ESVD, Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado Heavy Duty, Yukon and Yukon XL have the Text Message Alerts feature.
Please note that this feature is offered only with 2015 models but there are exceptions once again. Certain 14MY vehicles also have this feature such as the Cruze, Cruze Diesel, Chevrolet Camaro, Traverse, Volt, Equinox, Malibu and SS.
You can use the Text Message Alerts feature when you have successfully paired your phone with the infotainment system of your vehicle. This process varies with the device you have, but a generalized review for both the iPhone and Android devices is given here.
- Link your phone with the infotainment system.
- Access the menu which allows you to modify Bluetooth settings from your phone. Conduct a search for Bluetooth devices and your vehicle’s name will appear on the list. Next to this, an ‘i’ icon will be displayed. Select this and set Show notifications to enable.
Please note that this feature is enabled only after you start another ignition cycle. One more thing: if you turn off the engine and then initiate another cycle, wait for around 3 minutes.
The functionality of the Text Message Alert Feature also varies with the phone. For instance with an iPhone device, the radio system will allow you to access only messages that you receive during the current cycle.
- Link your Android device with the infotainment system of your car.
- As a connection is established, your phone might ask you for permission in order to access the contacts and the MAP profile. Agree to both the requests, and only then will you be able to use the Text Message Alerts feature.
Please note that whether your vehicle is moving or stationary, you can send a predefined message through the radio system.