So what will Siri do for you?
- Siri will perform certain tasks for you such as
- Placing music
- Composing text messages
- Reading out notifications
- Adding reminders
- Finding calendar information
If you give Siri a request that involves a visual response, Siri will not be able to take care of it if your vehicle is moving. In this case, you will be notified.
So does Siri have any benefit while you drive?
Actually loads. Siri Eyes Free ensures that there is no need for you to take your eyes off the road or keep you hands off the wheel, while driving. This significantly minimizes distractions and increases your safety on the road.
The technology also improves the voice recognition system of the vehicle, and incorporates more features.
Is Siri Eyes Free offered with all models?
Siri Eyes Free is featured in all of the latest models (2015) if they are equipped with the MyLink, IntelliLink, or Cadillac CUE3. The technology is available with Sierra, Silverado Heavy Duty, Suburban, Yukon, Tahoe, and Escalade/ESV models.
Please note that you need an iPhone device which has iOS 6.1 or a later version.
For those who have an Android device
If your Android device offers a voice recognition feature, the infotainment system of your vehicle will be able to access it. As for the functionality, that will depend on your device and the software, which it uses.
The details of using Siri Eyes Free
Connect your phone with the infotainment system of your vehicle.
- Press down the voice recognition button on the steering wheel and hold it for a couple of seconds until a beep sounds and the indicator lights up.
- Speak out loud whatever task you want Siri to conduct. For instance, you can ask about your meetings scheduled for the day or create a reminder for calling someone.
- Once you are done, you can press the End Call button on the steering wheel. Even if you do not, Siri will automatically end the session.
So how is Siri different from your vehicle’s voice recognition feature?
Siri expands the features offered by your vehicle, but does not create any interference with it. You can use whichever one you like.
Figuring out the activated voice recognition system
Both voice recognition systems are activated with the same button, but you exert a different force for a different time. For activating Siri Eyes Free, you have to hold the button until you hear a beep; for your vehicle’s voice recognition system, a single press is enough. The indicator light will show whichever system has been activated.