The use of nitrogen gas to inflate tires is available through some dealers. Benefits under controlled conditions include:
- A reduction in the loss of tire pressure over time
- A reduction in the variance of tire pressures with temperature changes due to reduction of water vapor concentration
- A reduction of long-term rubber degradation due to a drop in oxygen
- Important: These are obtainable performance improvements when relatively pure nitrogen gas is used to inflate tires under controlled conditions.
General Motors' stance on use of nitrogen gas in tires:
General Motors does not oppose the use of nitrogen gas in tires. We expect the theoretical benefits to be reduced in practical use due to the lack of an existing infrastructure to continuously facilitate inflating tires with nearly pure nitrogen. Even occasional inflation with compressed atmospheric air will negate many of the theoretical benefits. Given those theoretical benefits, practical limitations, and the robust design of GM Original Equipment TPC tires, the realized benefits to our customers of inflating their tires with purified nitrogen are expected to be minimal.
Click here for more information.
- Call: 602-798-2940
- Click: www.CourtesyChev.com
- Visit: 1233 E. Camelback Road, Phoenix, AZ 85014